REVIEW – Week 1 Essentials Grammar
Scale UP or DOWN
- Goal to memorize charts by 3rdyear! (ORAL or WRITTEN)
- Fast for us to recite charts ORALLY
- More independent to have student COPY chart
30 min/day on ONE chart & 1 Sentence will produce results!! Trust the process and that we have 3 years to master the material.
EEL (45 minutes) 1pm-1:45pm
REVIEW Chart A (15minutes)
- Student vs parent
- 3rdyear against 3rdyear
Part of Speech: Verb Overview
EEL Task: None
Chart A: 8 parts of speech (categories for classifying words). Noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, conjunction, interjection, preposition, and adjective.
Definition of a VERB???????
Verb – word that asserts an action, shows a state of being, links two words together, or helps another verb.
Look at big picture today!!!
- Fill in details later
- Parts of speech (8) today looking at most important = VERBS
Sentence classification = backbone of EEL
Verbs = Heart of English grammar
=Give LIFE to any sentence
=Sentence doesn’t exist w/out a verb
CHART C – 4 types of verbs
- Quiz students on answers
- Point out the tests to use when determining verb type
Fill in Chart C in class VERBALLY
Chart D – 5 Principle Parts (forms) of a Verb
Fill in Chart D
Look at Chart K on your own to explore more verb anatomy
IEW 45minutes (1:45pm-2:30pm)
- Finish KWO
- Brainstorm activities (new style techniques)
- Review what we did in class
- Review all vocabulary words
- Start First Draft
- Brainstorm HOW to add STYLE
- Study New Vocabulary
- Finish Rough draft
- Add stylist techniques
- Edit draft
- Review New Vocabulary
- Final Draft
- Edit Final Draft
- Review Vocabulary
Review – Student’s read one sentence from their paper. Favorite sentence and we will guess the dress-up used.
-ly adverb practice
The slug moved ___________________ along the sidewalk
The train ____________________ stopped.
She sang ________________.
The music played so ______________ , I could barely hear.
The dog ran ________________.
The food was _____________ made.
Present New Source Text for Week 2
- Read & Discuss the paragraph
- Read 2x if necessary
- Ask students question about the source text
Key Word Outline (KWO)
- Create Outline
- Circle 3 keywords (numbers, symbols, abreviations = Free)
- Copy keywords to outline
- Give an oral report- one student per sentence
- Read keywords, look-up, speak the sentence.
Dress It Up
- -ly Adverb
- 5 senses
- Clincher for Title
5 senses examples (SRP pg 111)
- Words that see, hear, feel, taste & smell
- Combine two thoughts
- Which=place, thing, or idea (animals)
- draws attention, be creative, use 2 or 3 keywords from the final sentence