How do we change sentence purpose to interrogative???
- Change the end mark
- Swap subject w/ an interrogative pronoun
- Beginning w/ a helping verb
What is an Object Complement?
- Object Complement Noun
- Follows the DO and renames what the DO has become as a result of the action of the verb.
- Question/Confirmation to find OCN
- Direct Object Who? Or What?
- Object Complement Adjective
- Follows the DO and describes what the DO has become as a result of the action verb.
- Question/Confirmation to find the OCA
- Object Complements COMPLETE the sentence construction
- OCN and/or OCA are necessary to complete the thought of the sentence or it will lose the original meaning of the author.
Reuben gave his mom the flu. (S-Vt-IO-DO)
-Who is the sentence about? Reuben (SN)
-What did Reuben do? Gave (V)
-Reuben gave what? Or who? Flu (DO)
-Reuben gave the flu to who? or what? mom (IO)
CHANGE to Interrogative
- Reuben gave his mom the flu?
- Who gave his mom the flu?
- Did Reuben give his mom the flu?
Part of Speech: Verb (V)
Review Chart D – Irregular verbs (“to be” and “to have”)
New Chart O – Regular verb (“to play”)
– Identify patterns for regular verb anatomies
– 1st years continue to memorize and understanding will build from there.
Practice Sentence: Walk through ATS 1-6, and Quid et Quo
- Dictate Sentence
Who appointed Creed teacher when we were out of class?
- Check mechanics
- Is it Adjectival or Adverbial? www.asia.wub = adverbial
- Do we need a comma? (no because adverbial clause is trailing, NOT leading)
- Question/Confirmation and label sentence parts of speech
- Rewrite by Purpose – first change to simple
6. Rewrite by structure
7. Add modifiers
- Adjectives, adverbs, adjectival or adverbial clauses
IEW Writing – Unit 8- Formal Essay Models
- Use paper from Lesson 17-19 (Benjamin Franklin & Wright Brothers
- Essay is expressing opinion and a report (facts)